Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Bodybuilding Subculture

Hey Guys, I'm doing a sociology paper on subcultures and decided to choose bodybuilding as my subculture. I have a lot of knowledge on the topic, but there are a few things that I'm not sure about and figured we could have a discussion about them.

First thing I had trouble with is the social class of bodybuilders. As we know there is a lot of money that is involved, buying supplements, buying enough food, gym memberships, and other things such as wrist wraps, knee wraps, squatting shoes, and of course gear. With this in mind, I came to the conclusion that most people who are apart of the subculture have to be at least middle class. If you either agree or disagree with this please comment why.

The second point I had trouble with is the boundary rigidity of the subculture. Bodybuilding as a sport is something anybody can choose to partake in. But, there has to be a point or a line that differentiates the average lifter with a bodybuilder. To me, this line is competing in a competition. Then again there are many "bodybuilders" who are big af yet still haven't competed. This is where I have trouble; figuring out what sets apart a lifter and a bodybuilder. If you can expand on this please comment.

Lastly, I would like to know what values you attribute with bodybuilding.

I realize this is not a typical post in this subreddit, I figured some of you would enjoy this discussion and some of you may not. Please comment your perspectives on these topics. Thanks.

submitted by /u/WhyAlwaysMex
[link] [comments]

from Muscle and Bodybuilding http://bit.ly/2xwPb2b
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment