Monday, April 3, 2017

Does it make sense to just deload upper body?

I've been lifting hard, coupled with significant life stresses, for the past several months.

I got back into lifting around October. Shortly after, I hurt my shoulder, and just worked through it, and it's now healed to about 90%. A few months later, I strained a muscle in my back, which bothered me every now and then. Quite recently, I strained a pec, and trying to keep lifting arms heavy without doing any benching movements to let the pec recover, I went too heavy for close grip bench on the smith and gave myself some elbow tendonitis.

All these injuries are pretty minor - I can do every major lift at as high of weight as I can lift, with only occasional minor pain. But I'm sick of the nagging pain, worried they could turn into real injuries if I keep working around them, and want to let everything recover.

Lower body is fine. Can I just go ahead and hit low body 3-4 times/week for the next 1-2 weeks until all my tendons feel good again, and then get back at upper body? I was thinking like, quads+calves+abs / glutes + hams / rest / repeat.

tl;dr: Upper body is pretty beat up with a number of minor injuries. Feel like I need 1-2 weeks off. Lower body is fine. Cool to still hit legs while upper body recovers, or should I really just stay out?

submitted by /u/techno-on-acid
[link] [comments]

from Muscle and Bodybuilding http://bit.ly/2owr5zn
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment