Monday, September 5, 2016

Starting bodybuilding at age 31?

Hello r/bodybuilding!

I am a complete novice about bodybuilding but I have long held an interest in it. I have always admired the muscular physique of men and women in the sport but I have never been particularly muscular or athletic myself even though having that type of body has been a dream of mine since I found the Charles Atlas ads in old comics books. I used to love American Gladiators and dreamed of looking like those dudes and have always found myself very attracted to athletic and muscular women.

I am now 31 and found myself with no hobbies to speak of that are productive and have decided that I want to finally dedicate myself to something good for me. I spent my 20's drinking, smoking, eating horribly, and generally doing whatever felt good when it felt good and let my discipline really get lax.

Last year, I bought an Anytime Membership and I did stronglifts on and off. I worked 12hr days from 5pm to 5am so it was hard, but I was really starting to enjoy myself. I bought a pool membership as well to start to shed some weight and I lost some weight and was feeling better about myself. Then I got fired from my job so I couldn't afford my membership and gave up on it over the summer went out West on a wing and prayer for a job that didn't end up working out.

Tomorrow, I start my new job making more money than I have in the past. I finally feel like will have some stability in my life so I can chase my dreams. I will be able to get my gym membership back and this time I think I want to try to put on muscle and really try to live out my lifelong dream of being a bodybuilder. I was thinking about trying Body-for-Life or one of those types of programs to get me started.

I guess my question for your fine folks is, are you aware of any stories of people that started bodybuilding later? I don't know if I've already missed out on the time to be able to build muscle, so I am not sure if I what I want to do, is even biologically possible. I'm realistic and I know I will likely never compete, but maybe if I could look in the mirror and maybe feel buff or swole for once in my life, I would finally be able to put a lot of my insecurities about my body to rest. I guess I just want to finally chase a dream and take control of my life and care about myself again. I know getting healthy is possible but I guess I just don't know if I am able to actually put on much muscle?

Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance.

submitted by /u/calvinballMVP
[link] [comments]

from Muscle and Bodybuilding http://bit.ly/2bZ9Qyi
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment